Thursday, 13 August 2015

Historical Lunch Breaks

Last Thursday I went for a walk along the Quayside with the idea of exploring some new places. I noticed Bessie Surtees's house was open so I popped inside. Ive passed it hundreds of times but I've either been too busy to stop or it's been closed. 
When I got inside I pretty much had the place to myself. It was so quiet I could spend as much time as I wanted in there and have a really good look around. It's steeped in history and was a complete escape from reality for a while. 



There were lots of information boards around and albums of old photos from English Heitage so you could see how the building had changed over time. It was all really interesting. 

The people on reception told me they were opening a new exhibition the following week so on Tuesday I went back along. This time they pointed me towards the back of the house where they had opened a couple of rooms with notices and photographs showing how the region has changed over the last 100 years. I love looking at photographs, especially when I see them of the exact same view but hundreds of years apart and I can see just how much things have changed. It was also nice to see some more of the house. 





It's nice to spend my lunch break outside having a leisurely walk and seeing what is around. Ive always wanted to get inside Bessie's house and now it's something I can cross off my list!



No comments:

Post a Comment